Retail companies and even entire retail sectors are subject to significant economic and legal changes resulting from the digital revolution. Digitisation requires new innovative business models, puts pressure on stationary businesses and brings about significant changes going far beyond national borders.
Business combinations involve not only corporate law issues but also challenges regarding competition and antitrust law. As a consequence, comprehensive legal advice is required to deal with the extensive restructuring measures, repositioning efforts and wide-ranging restructurings stationary retail traders are undergoing.
Online trading is becoming increasingly popular and has also become an important sales channel for stationary providers. With regard to online trading, companies have to meet special requirements of national and European rules. In particular, the provisions under the Austrian Consumer Protection Act (Konsumentenschutzgesetz) and the Austrian Act on Off-Premises and Distance Contracts (Fern- und Auswärtsgeschäfte-Gesetz) as well as various provisions under data protection law need to be observed.
Among others, national and international merchants as well as mail order businesses and producers rely on our expertise when facing the challenges of stationary trade and e-commerce.
We support our clients in optimising entire value chains from a legal perspective, developing new business areas by acquiring new companies or building up new sales organisations as well as implementing digital solutions. We are sought-after partners in questions of site locations, the assessment of competition law-related issues, business takeovers or the creation of a web shop including the structuring of processes, the drafting of general terms and conditions and defense in case of conflicts with customers.
Main aspects of our advisory services
- Legal advice on all questions related to national and international trade law
- Competition law-related support and representation in proceedings
- Advice on commercial law matters
- Network and location development
- Development and advice in connection with optimal sales channels (distributor, commercial agent, franchising) and the drafting of contracts
- Special advice on all relevant regulated areas
- Support in connection with product liability claims
- Framework conditions concerning consumer protection law
- Advice on all questions regarding online trading